Monday 1 October 2012

More Low Fat Delicious-ness

So moving on from the Quiche, I wanted something sweet!

Having made this delicious Green Gage Jam last week.....I thought a scrummy Victoria Sandwich would be just the thing to pop some homemade Jam into!

The jam was the result of a visit to my Mums.

We went over to get some bits out of her loft for our son Charlie to take off to University, we had a lovely lunch (my Mum is THE best cook).  When we came to leave she pointed out the abundance of green gage's on her tree.  Well, we couldn't let those waste now, could we?

I started picking what I could reach, then Mum got me a ladder and finally to get at the ones we couldn't reach she shook the tree with a broom!  They were so ripe they dropped of in handfuls.  Unfortunately the birds and bugs had lunched on some, so we just took the whole and undamaged ones.  Tiddly Toes just stood stuffing one after the other into her mouth....they were so delicious.

We took them home and they were picked at for a few days, but there were so many and they were going to go mouldy!

I had a light bulb moment.  I went through the recycling and pulled out all the jars with lids.  I found a bag of granulated sugar at the back of the cupboard.  Whacked on the oven to 160, washed to jars and put them into the oven on a baking tray to sterilise.

 
I weighed what was left of the fruit.....1.2 kilos!  I popped that into a pan with a couple of tablespoons of water and put it on a low heat to stew down. 


I weighed out 1.2 kilos of sugar, but before I added it fished out the fruit stones.......I'm sure there were more stones than fruits!

I added the sugar and let it simmer, every so often I popped a blob on a cold plate to see if it wrinkled when cool.  Eventually it did and I spooned the jam into the warm jars.

Wanna see it?  OK, here goes..........

tA-dAAh!.....


 Had to try some on a scone!....



SO...... onto the Victoria Sponge.......

RECIPE:

175g of Self-Raising Flour
4 eggs (separated)
175g Caster Sugar

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line 2 x 8" sandwich tins or 1 deep 8" cake tin.

Put the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk until they become pale and fluffy (just like if you were using butter and sugar).


 
In a separate bowl whisk the four egg whites until stiff.

 
Add these to the yolk mixture and whisk together.

 
Once thoroughly combined, add the sifted flour a spoonful or 2 at a time and fold in with a metal spoon using as few strokes as possible.

Carefully put the mixture into the tin or tins and pop into your preheated oven for about 35 minutes. You can turn the tin halfway through this process if you like....you'll know if your oven cooks evenly or not. Test to see if it is cooked by pressing the centre of the cake gently. It may not spring up like a sponge, but it should dent too badly.
 
Put on a wire rack to cool.

Once cool, take you 2 sandwiches (or cut your one cake through the centre so you have 2 halves). Spread the top of your bottom half with buttercream and the underside of your top half with buttercream.

 
 .......sandwich the 2 together and sprinkle the top with a little caster or icing sugar......Ta-Dah!

 
It was lovely and deep...... I couldn't resist.....I had to try a piece...........



Mmmmmmm!  Doesn't that look good?

The whole sponge part of the cake only contains 4 eggs....so that's 24g of fat.  If you omit the buttercream...that's the total content of fat!!!

I used half my usual measurements of buttercream with 40g of margarine giving me a fat content here of 24g....and I only used about half of that so my total fat content in the cake was probably less than 40g!  That's really good!

Have a try and see what you think.  Even if you don't make this regularly....if you did it once in a while it is a healthy change.  You could make it slightly naughty by filling it with fresh whipped cream....maybe with some fresh strawberries slices....or raspberries.  How about cream cheese icing?

The combinations are endless....I'm going to try them all!!  A girl can NEVER eat too much of this cake....surely??!!

See you next time,
Love
Nora xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please don't leave without commenting as it's nice to know you were here x