Wednesday 20 September 2017

Roll-ups.....

Sounds uninspiring.....

Tastes DEEElicious.....

Its basically a twist on French toast.

Here's some inspiration.....





These are savoury....ham and cheese.

The first ones I made were apple....just seemed to go well with the cinnamon sugar.

The ones I'm about to show you the step by step for are strawberry, but there are loads of combinations.  Chocolate spread and banana, cream cheese and blueberry (this mornings other option)....have a look at my Pinterest board to see what inspiration you can find.

You will see I have a bit of a french toast obsession at the moment.....depending on filling they fit with my low fat diet and are surprisingly quick and easy.

These are the ingredients you will need.....




Plus a knife, rolling pin, flat pancake or frying pan and either tongs or a spatula.

First cut the crusts off your bread and beat the egg into a flatish dish or a plate with sides.  You can add a tablespoon or two of milk to your egg to thin it slightly if you feel its too thick to coat the bread.

I keep my crusts on all bread, I store it in the freezer until I have enough to make it worthwhile running it through the food processor to make it into breadcrumbs.  It then goes back into the freezer for the base of treacle tart or to coat my fishcakes.




Use a rolling pin to flatten your slices of bread a little....don't go too mad or it will be too dense to soak up the egg!

Pop a knob of butter into you frying pan and melt over a low to medium heat.

Now for your filling.  On this one I spread a little jam and then sliced strawberry onto it.




Roll them up and dip into the egg.  Let the excess drip off and pop it with the seam down into the pan.  Putting the seam in first seals it and helps when you come to turn it to cook it on all sides.




Keep rolling your filled slices, dipping them in egg and popping into the pan.  I get around 6 rolls per 1 egg and we find that 2 rolls is a nice amount to eat....of course we could eat more, they're tasty!

Once browned on each side remove from the pan onto a plate, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and eat on their own or with whipped or ice cream.




Here is a photo of the apple filled roll-up with cream....




I have to cook with very little butter, but if you cook with more you could probably roll these in sugar to coat them.  

We decided this morning that these have the taste of British Pancakes but the texture is more like a doughnut.  Either way....scrumptious!

I think I might be back with more recipes as there are some family favourites that I think I'd just like to document.

If there is anyone out there, why not leave a comment for me suggesting more flavour combinations....or simply leave me any recipes or links that you think I'd like.

So until we meet again, take care.
Nora xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please don't leave without commenting as it's nice to know you were here x